Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 1 of Week 2

June 27, 2009
Stepping Up – The Psalms of Ascent
Day 1 of Week 2

Our Own House, Our Own City

As we ended last week’s study, we focused on the literal meaning of the city of Jerusalem in Psalm 122. It is important to take note of the personal meaning of Scripture as well. Psalm 122 speaks to us as we take joy in where our feet are planted. For many of us, a trip to Israel is just not an option right now. So, does that mean that we cannot find the same joy the psalmist found as his feet were planted within the city’s gates? No, it does not.
As a matter of fact, Beth points out the fact that many exiles were taken to Babylon and died there. They never knew the joy of literally standing within the gates of the city of Jerusalem again. In Jeremiah 29, we find instructions that God gave the exiles while they were in Babylon. We, too, are much like those exiles. We are bound here on earth, while our hearts long to be in heaven. Use these Scriptures to encourage you as you make your journey through earth.
Jeremiah 29: 4 – 7
“This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: ‘Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because it prospers, you too will prosper.”
You may feel like you are stuck in Babylon at times, but there is a reason God has planted you where you are. He longs to prosper you, and when He does, it is our responsibility to be a witness to everyone watching us.
That is why it is so important to take these Scripture to heart. We are to be all that we can be within the gates of our own cities. We are to seek peace and prosperity.
How is God using your town or city to equip you to be a humble servant?
How is God using you in your own town or city?
It is so important that believers are part of a church where they can be encouraged to be all they can be to their community. It is as important, if not more so, for you to be in a great church where you feel you can serve as it is for you to be in a good neighborhood or work place.
In Psalm 122, you will notice that the psalmists’ first focus is on the temple then it moves out into the city. We are to take this as an example in our own lives. We are to first focus on the temple, our home churches and even our physical homes. When we find the peace of God within our temple, we are to share that joy with our “city”.
Accepting that no fellowship is perfect, what are a few things you really love about yours?
Name some people that you look forward to seeing each time you go to worship. Write down what you love about those people.

Describe a few relationships that you have at church that you wouldn’t have anywhere else.
I want to share my answer to this question. I am very funny about male companionship/friendship because I never want to disrespect my husband in any way or leave question to whether a relationship is what it should be. I love my husband and long to be faithful to him in all that I do. When I am around males, I almost always have my husband with me. Since I have been diagnosed, the Lord has brought several men to e witness to and encourage me. Each of these men has been so gracious in affording me the distance and trust that is appropriate when you are married and faithful to your commitment in Christ. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could never have allowed myself to take comfort in the encouragement they have to offer me through their e-mails, cards and phone calls if they were not men of the church and very respectful. They have never made me feel uncomfortable or allowed any interaction that was not in an appropriate place or time. I know their intentions towards me is to be what God wants them to be in my life. If they were not men of the church, I know I would not have allowed those relationships to even form. I think more men need to be respectful of never visiting a wife/mother while she is alone in her home or calling her with information that cannot be fully disclosed to her spouse.

Are you happy when someone says to you, “let us go into the house of the Lord?”
If not, you should prayerfully consider moving to another ministry within the church or moving to another church if that is not an option. It is so very important that you stay alive and willing to serve in Christ.

Read through this Psalm and write a prayer to God to show your connection to Psalm 122!

No comments: